Register Now


The Au Pair Programme

Being an Au Pair is a wonderful experience that builds life-long relationships with a host family, new friends and an entire culture. Do you want to choose a country that has lots of offer each kind of person and one that is accepting of diverse backgrounds. A country that accepts Loonies as currency, that praises small furry lake creatures and that has a Prime Minister that has the looks of a Disney prince and the compassion of your kindergarten teacher.  Choose Canada!

The Au Pair program in Canada follows standards set by the government for young foreigners coming to Canada to live-in with a welcoming host family. Before coming to Canada, all candidates must receive a Work Permit from the International Experience Programme

This program was set up to strengthen the ties between Canada and partnering countries by encouraging young adults to travel and work in these countries. Since there is only a limited amount of Work Permits available for each country, it’s important to start the process early.

The requirements for this program are as followed:

  • Be a British citizen from the following territories: the United Kingdom and the Channel Islands of Jersey and Guernsey
  • Have a valid UK passport with British citizenship or a valid Channel Island (Jersey, Guernsey) passport for the duration of your stay in Canada – your work permit in Canada will not be longer than the validity of your passport
  • Be between the ages of 18 and 30 (inclusive)
  • Have the equivalent of CAN$2,500 to help cover your expenses in Canada
  • Be able to take out health insurance for the duration of your stay – you may have to present evidence of this insurance when you enter Canada
  • Be admissible to Canada
  • Have prior to departure, a round-trip ticket or demonstrate that you will have the financial resources to purchase a departure ticket at the end of your authorized stay in Canada
  • Not be accompanied by dependents
  • Pay the fees

With this Work Permit, applicants are treated like any working Canada. This means that they follow the same Employment Standards as any Canadian and cannot be exploited by employers.

In order to work with children, all applicants must get a medical exam done by a recognized physician through the International Experience Canada website.

As a British citizen, you may participate in IEC once. The Work Permit is valid from the day you arrive to Canada to 24 months less one-day later. At the airport, an official will take the Letter of Invitation you are given to confirm your acceptance. They may ask where you will be living while in Canada and if you are working with children. They will give you your Work Permit and then you will legally be allowed to work in Canada. Make sure to check the expiry date on your Work Permit.

If you have any questions or are interested in being an Au Pair in beautiful Canada, call us today to find out more information.

Register Now